Sunday, July 6, 2014

~The End~

   I woke to see my beautiful wife laying next to me in our bed. Her eyes were already open and observing me, her fingers already weaving their way through my hair.
   "Good morning my king," she whispered. I smiled.
   "Good morning my love."
   "Adriana. Caleb." We turned to see Miranda standing patiently in the doorway. "Ai has returned." We looked at each other and smiled. Then, we stood and, taking each other's hands, we went to greet our friend.
   Ai looked much happier than she had the last time we had seen her. Whatever Liliana's news was, it must have been good. And based on the way Ai's mourning had lessened, it must have pertained to Nolan.
   Without wasting a minute, Ai eagerly told us her new found information. "Nolan is going to be reincarnated as Liliana's brother." We were both taken aback, straightening our backs and raising our eyebrows at the news.
   "That's...great," Adriana stated, obviously unsure of where Ai was going with it. I had a feeling I knew, but I remained quiet.
   Ai smiled. "Yes, it is. But that's not what I'm here to tell you."
   "Then by all means, tell us." Ai nodded and looked down at her shoes, forming the words in her mind.
   "I think I want to end my current life as an angel." Yep, there it was.
   "What!?" Miranda burst, outraged. "Are you crazy!? Why would you want to do that? He's going to be back here once he dies, why-"
   I interrupted Miranda. "She wants to live with the one she loves. I think we of all people can understand that." Adriana gently squeezed my hand, telling me she supported my words. "We will miss you, Ai, but we won't stop you. If this is what you wish, we will grant it."
   "You'll what!?" Miranda yelled. "You are practically permitting suicide!" Adriana turned her glare toward Miranda.
   "No. We are permitting her a real life with her love." Miranda opened her mouth to protest, but shut it before she did. She looked down at the ground and sighed. It was understandable. She didn't want to lose her friend again.
   "Thank you," Ai said with a smile. Then she turned to her friend. "Miranda, I'm going to return. This is not the end."
   "I know, I just- I'm going to miss you." Miranda wrapped her arms around Ai and Ai hugged her back. When she finally pulled away, Miranda wiped the tears from her eyes. Adriana stepped forward and hugged her best friend as well.
   "We are all going to miss you. Until we meet again, Ai, I wish you well." When they finally parted, Ai said farewell and left. Miranda retired to her own chambers, and my queen and I were left alone. We walked, hand in hand to the balcony outside our room which overlooked our kingdom. Adriana stopped and looked out across the visage that was Heaven.
   It was a sight I couldn't believe I forgot. The buildings were all beautifully designed homes for the residents of Heaven, in varying styles and colors, but all with their own unique beauty, and they stretched further than could be seen. The grass was always green and the trees grew tall, with flowers of every hue imaginable looking up at them. The sky was a beautiful blue with a golden sun bestowing its rays upon all underneath it. Such a breathtaking place, and it was ours.
   "It's incredible," she whispered. "I have to wonder how it's possible to ever forget a sight like this. How it's possible to ever forget such beauty. Such wonder. Such peace." She closed her eyes and took a slow, steady breath. "We're finally back home Caleb. We're finally back where we truly belong."
   "That we are," I responded, putting my arm around her waist and holding her beside me. "Back in Heaven, and, more importantly, back to each other's sides." She looked up at me. "Back where I will never again be torn away from." She turned to me and softly placed her left hand on my cheek, brushing her thumb underneath my eye. I leaned down and placed the softest of kisses on her lips, a feeling so beautiful I couldn't ever possibly forget it. And I never would.

No comments:

Post a Comment